Careers and Vacancies
PLEASE NOTE: OUR CURRENT VACANCIES ARE LISTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE.
For every actor you see on stage at a REP production there can be ten people working behind the scenes. More than 40 people work in our marketing, learning, literary, finance, administration, production and sales departments and every member of staff has had a different route into their job. Some have come straight from university, others have gained vital work experience as part of a school or college placement whilst others have come to work at The REP having gained and developed skills in a different industry altogether.
One thing we do know is that the employment landscape will continue to change. The government estimate that 61% of the jobs which young people will do when they leave school haven't been invented yet!
We hope that you find this section of the website useful – it will provide you with information about the different departments at The REP and the jobs that people do here, as well as current vacancies and casting opportunities when they are available.
The following roles and departments enable The REP to deliver excellent theatrical experiences. Full profiles can be found in the attached document.
Artistic Director, Executive Director, General Manager, Arts Team, Marketing and Press, Sales Team, Development, Finance, Learning and Participation, Stage Door, Theatre Management, Front of house staff, Production, Stage Management, Stage, Lighting, Sound, Workshop, Paintshop, Props, Wardrobe, Wigs & Makeup, Performers, Creative Team
See link below for our current vacancies
Please note: We do not accept CVs by themselves. All applicants must complete the online job application form, making reference to why they are suited to the specific role applied for.
Job Title: Events Manager
Who you report to: Events Operations Manager
Who reports to you: Events Supervisors
Hours: As required
Salary: £23,322 (Pro-rata)- £11.50/Hr
Probation Period: 3 months
Holiday entitlement: 20 days + public holidays, rising 1 day per year to 25 + ph (Pro-rata)
This is initially a 12 month fixed term contract but with a possibility of becoming permanent thereafter.
The Events Manager works across the Conference, Banqueting & Events programme with a significant focus on Hospitality and Operations. They are the core of the UVB Event delivery operation and the main point of contact for all clients. They oversee all events ensuring that all operations run smoothly and the food and hospitality service is of a high quality. They are responsible for ensuring the delivery of every agreed aspect of an event whilst ensuring all clients are welcomed and supported during their visit to any of our Unique Venues.
The aim of your job is:
Ø To provide excellent customer service to customers and visitors to any Unique Venue
Ø Representing UVB as a front facing first contact for all clients and delegates
Ø To deliver events of a high quality and standard in a timely and efficient manner
Ø To be an essential contributor to the planning and organising of all events
Ø To liaise with staff and supplies to ensure all relevant resources for all events are sourced and maintained
Ø To manage a team of Event Assistants ensuring all events are appropriately staffed
Ø To be a mentor and example to all Events Assistants ensuring standards in conduct and event delivery are always met
Ø To be familiar and diligent with the details of upcoming events and prepare adequately for their delivery.
Ø To provide a clean, tidy and welcoming environment for customers, visitors and staff
Ø To support the organisation in achieving its CRM aims
What your main duties cover:
Meet & Greet
- Operating from the main UVB Meet and Greet desk as the first point of contact for all clients and guests
- Being a friendly and welcoming presence for any visitors to Unique Venues
- Assisting guests with directions and advise for navigating the building
- Fielding any enquiries for booked clients of prospective customers in person or over the phone
- Being a central hub for all Event Staff to gain information about the days events
- Day to Day administration tasks
- Preparing Function Briefs and signage for any upcoming events
- Assisting operationally with the delivery of any event during critical moments
- Liaising with any visiting registration staff to ensure requirements are meet
- Maintaining the presentation and organisation of the Meet and Greet Desk.
= Ensure all event lay outs, equipment requirements, furniture, stationary and catering provision are positioned and set up as required by each event Function Brief.
= Create and coordination appropriate signage for events, including creating and scheduling digital signage around the buildings.
= Setting up basic technical and AV equipment such as projectors, laptops, and basic PA equipmentEvent Delivery
= Ensure efficient delivery of each event as planned with the Events Team.
= To provide excellent customer service to any guests, clients or delegates of Unique Venues Birmingham venues.
= Being a main point of contact for all clients and conducting welcome meetings and event run throughs.
= Conduct client debriefs at the end of each event
= Support the efficient delivery of all event catering needs, working with the relevant caterer to ensure timely service.
= Liaise with Events Team and any relevant Venue Managers to ensure smooth coordination of activities across all Unique Venues.
- Serve food and beverages to any conference or banqueting activity.
= Be able to perform basic technical troubleshooting, such as simple sound checks or connecting a laptop to a projector.
- Undertake cash-ups
- Completing Daily Reports; logging challenges and feedback from all events to ensure communication is maintained within all relevant departments and allowing for improvements to be developed.
- Carrying responsibility for our venues and its safety – ensuring clean downs and lock up procedures are followed.
- Support and promote all company policy, with specific attention to Equality & Diversity, Customer Care, Health & Safety and Data Protection.
- Ensure a safe working environment is maintained at all times with particular regard to the health, safety and welfare of customers, visitors, staff and yourself.
= Attending weekly Function Brief meetings and planning meetings as well as any other company meetings as required.
= Actively contribute to the planning and preparation of all events.
= the ordering, collection and safe storage of any stock or equipment deliveries as required
= Provide food & beverage preparation for all events, observing food hygiene regulations.
= Being mindful of profitability of events of the cost of resources
= Support the Senior Events Manager in ensuring all events are staffed correctly and the appropriate resources are sourced in advance to ensure an excellent delivery of agreed terms
= To be an example for all Events Assistants, and offer ongoing training in their required duties
= Supervise all staff on the shift rota and provide event specific briefings, ensuring quality of delivery at all points of service.
- Supervise and Manage Agency Staff during event delivery. Delivering events briefs, clear instructions, and ensuring UVB standards of delivery and customer service are maintained by whilst Agency staff are assigned to events.
= Perform stock-takes with a responsible approach to stock management and minimalising loss and wastage.
= To work closely with the Events Team to further the ambitions and standards of UVB
= Undertake any specific or seasonal cleaning and maintenance as required.
- Any other reasonable duties required for the smooth running of the Events Team
- Assist in developing and improving Event delivery
- General standard of literacy and numeracy.
- Qualifications in Event Management is desirable
- First Aid Trained (desired)
- Food Hygiene (desired)
- Personal Licence (desired)
- Excellent customer service skills are essential.
- Experience in Event Management or F&B management is essential
- Experience in a customer focused environment is essential.
- Experience of managing a team is essential
- Basic technical AV experience is desirable
Personal attitude/ attributes:
- Positive and helpful attitude.
- Broad availability and flexible working hours
- Flexibility, dedication and commitment.
- Willingness to learn new skills and activities.
- Ability to work and contribute as a member of a team.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Works well under pressure and to deadlines.
- Understands the importance of good internal and external customer relations.
- An excellent eye for detail and a commitment to excellence.
- High dress & appearance standards and excellent time keeping.
- Reliable and takes a positive and enthusiastic approach to work.
- Ability to work weekends and evenings and unsociable hours.
- Great leadership qualities
- Great time management and an ability to delegate during busy periods
- A proven track record for successful and complicated planning procedures
UVB uses a competency framework to describe the abilities and personal attributes that are displayed by people who are successful in this particular position. We use the framework during selection, performance appraisals and change management processes.
= Attention to detail - supports quality through accuracy and efficiency
= Achieving Results - actively contributes to organisational success at various levels
= Safety Orientation - actively considers the safety and wellbeing of self, customers and staff
= Customer Orientation - positively influences customer opinions and behaviours
= Managing Others – motivates people to increase performance and achieve job satisfaction
= Working With Others – brings people together, shares information, builds trust
= Procedural Adherence - supports and develops policies, procedures and systems of work
Thu, 19 Sep 2019
Post Title: PROJECT PRODUCER – Shifting The Dial
Hours: 2.5 days/22. 5 hrs per week
Department: Learning & Participation
Responsible to: Learning & Participation Director
Responsible for: Freelance artists and project workers
Salary Level: £33,800 pa pro rata
Contract Type: Fixed-term contract until Aug 2021
The post will accommodate a degree of flexibility in working hours, with some need for evening and weekend work
- To produce and project manage the three-year Shifting the Dial participation project, which began in September ’18 and ends in August ‘21
- To liaise between the project’s four partners (Birmingham Repertory Theatre, First Class Legacy, Birmingham & Solihull Mental Health Trust and the Centre for Mental Health) and ensure the various elements of Shifting the Dial are delivered on time and within budget
- To ensure that the criteria of the principal funding body (Big Lottery Fund) and any other funders are met at all times
- To act as an advocate for Shifting the Dial and seek new partners and funding for its future growth and legacy
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and revise the project plan for Shifting the Dial through active liaison with the partners and individuals delivering the various elements
- Ensure the project plan’s timeline and budget are adhered to and that all activity is delivered efficiently and in line with expectations of The REP, its partners and relevant funding bodies
- Coordinate and deliver all aspects of the activity plans ensuring all necessary arrangements are in place and any third party involvement is contracted
- Support the individual Shifting The Dial partners in planning and delivering their areas of the project
- Work with the partners’ marketing and PR teams to ensure maximum public exposure for the Shifting The Dial project and the systemic change principles behind it
- Set up and coordinate regular meetings of the Shifting The Dial partners
- Set up and coordinate launch and closing celebratory events for Shifting The Dial as agreed with partners
- Manage the budgeting and accounting processes for Shifting The Dial and liaise with relevant staff in The REP’s finance team to ensure an efficient and fully accountable operation
- Manage and report on activity progress and fulfil progress reporting requirements of all funding bodies involved with Shifting The Dial
- Set up and manage appropriate monitoring and evaluation process for Shifting The Dial liaising with partners as relevant
- Identify key policy-makers and influencers within the areas of mental health and community services and engage with them to increase their awareness of Shifting The Dial and the systemic change principles underpinning it
- Undertake any specialist and/or general training as required by the post
- Ensure that all activities connected with Shifting The Dial are delivered in line with relevant policies and practices of The REP, including, but not limited to, Equal Opportunities, Health & Safety, Protection of Children, Young People & Vulnerable Adults and Bullying & Harassment policies
- Any other comparable duties and responsibilities as required from time to time
= Support and promote all company policy, with specific attention to Equality & Diversity, Customer Care, Health & Safety and Data Protection.
= Ensure a safe working environment is maintained at all times with particular regard to the health, safety and welfare of customers, visitors, staff and yourself.
= Any other reasonable duties required to ensure the smooth running of the theatre’s learning & participation operation.
The REP uses a competency framework to describe the abilities and personal attributes expected from its staff. We use the framework during selection, performance appraisals and change management processes. The competencies applying to the post of Project Producer:
- Achieving Results - actively contributes to organisational success at various levels
- Ability To Work On Own Initiative – responds to challenges and takes responsibility
- Creativity – confident in providing new ideas and concepts
- Communication - ensures good flow of relevant information to create mutual understanding
- Expertise In Role - has prolonged or intense experience of practice or education in role
- Influencing style – persuades and negotiates to achieve required outcomes
- Managing Others - motivates people to increase performance and achieve job satisfaction
- Planning and Organising – plans, schedules and prioritises tasks to deliver a programme
- Safety Orientation - actively considers the safety and wellbeing of self, customers and staff
- Working With Others – brings people together, shares information, builds trust
- Creating and managing large, complex creative projects with a variety of personnel
- Working in community arts and/or mental health
- Managing and reporting on grant- funded projects
- Awareness of pressures faced by young African-Caribbean men
- Awareness of challenges faced by the mental health system
- Strong competence in Excel and Word and database management;
- Organisation and communication
- Strong written and oral skills
- Driving licence
- Positive and flexible approach
- Calm and methodical
- Able to prioritise
- Self-motivated and happy to work both on own and in teams
- Thorough and meticulous approach to work
- Able to use initiative and overcome obstacles
- Resilient in the face of multiple demands upon time
- Confident with a variety of stakeholders
- Able to articulate and advocate for the projects’ aims
- Able to organise and motivate others.
About Shifting the Dial Project
Shifting the Dial is a three year collaborative project between REP, First Class Legacy, the Centre for Mental Health and Birmingham Trust. The project aims to develop a Birmingham brotherhood of young African and Caribbean men (YACM) who feel mentally stronger and healthier. The project seeks to engage groups of young men in a wide range of cultural activities which encourage them to reflect on their experiences, tell their stories and celebrate their shared heritage. It will also identify and promote ambassadors who will reach out to communities to foster a network of mental health support for YACM and their families.
Through working in partnership with each other and with young African and Caribbean men:
2) 200 YACM to work with project overtime. Improving confidence and wellbeing through drama, music, media, summer school, and workshops
3) 330 YACM to interact with the project up to 3 times engaging in a dialogue about mental health and cultural heritage in forum workshops and at other events
4) 1700 community members and individuals engaged as audiences and in local forums
5) 4,000 YACM and community members engaged through social media platforms
Since October 2018, REP Lightpost have been delivering weekly drama sessions and monthly role model workshops. First class legacy runs #Dear Youngers youth forums on a monthly basis. Both currently collaborate with BSMHFT to refer youth participants and mentors to their access to work programme. Young African and Caribbean Males have also been recruited as peer researchers to work alongside the Centre for Mental Health on the evaluation. Collectively, all partners have successfully delivered the first of two Fix It System Change events which take place each year. Centre for Mental Health will be sharing project early findings on 2nd October followed by another fix it system change event in November 2019 before end of year one.
Core part of this role is to oversee the delivery of project activities and evaluation. Project Producer is also expected to provide advice and liaison to help partners meet above outcomes. Additionally bring partners together on a quarterly basis to explore progress, share learning and problem solve key challenges.
Learning & Participation
£33,800 pa (Pro rata)
Fri, 27 Sep 2019